Connecting Your Own Computer To The
Personal computers can access the college network by
following the below steps.
After opening a page in your browser you’ll be redirected to the
registration portal, from here click College Members >>> Start. You will
then be able to log in with your College username and password.
- If you are already in residence in College accommodation please connect your device with an Ethernet cable to the odd numbered socket in
your room labelled ‘computer’, then turn off your Wi-Fi connection and try
to open a web page in your browser. If you don’t have an Ethernet cable they
can be bought from the lodge, if you don’t have an Ethernet port on your
device then you may have to buy an adapter as well.
- If you wish to register your computer for connection prior to your
arrival, or wish to make use of the of this registration service to provide
a basic 'health check' of your operating system and anti-virus software
whilst offsite the you will also need to register for, download, install,
and run the VPN software provided by the University's central I.T. Services.
This process is detailed in section 2. 'Configuring Your Computer' at
- In order to complete the registration of your device you will first need
to download and run a dissolvable scanner application to ensure that your
device passes our security checks. Download the scanner and find and run it
from the downloads folder of your web browser. If your see a warning
suggesting that the scanner is a threat please ignore the advice and select
- The scan will take a while to check your computer for compliance.
- After the scan if everything went ok you’ll find you are able to use the
network freely. You may need to restart your browser.
- It is possible that the scanner will advise you that your computer has
failed its scan and you need to carry out the suggested recommendations in
order to comply with the College’s network conditions of usage. To help you
the portal will let you visit the necessary websites to update your computer
or install anti-virus software. Once you have applied any fixes try the scan
again using the same steps.
- Be aware that the registration system may be slow during peak times such
as the beginning of term, please be patient in this instance and try again
later. If your scan was a success then you may find it helpful to either
reboot or disconnect and reconnect your network cable may help after
- If you have problems
connecting, please try the following
steps before contacting the I.T. Dept. at
- in the URL bar of your web browser type in the
address of the registration server:
- try disconnecting from a wireless network or
disabling your wireless network adapter whilst registering to use the wired
- disconnect the Ethernet cable from your computer,
wait 30 seconds and reconnect it.
- empty your web browser's cache and then restart
your web browser.
- ensure that your web browser is not set to use any
form of proxy server.
- if you have multiple web browsers and cannot
successfully see the registration page, try a different browser.
- try restarting your computer.
- ensure that your network adapter is set to obtain
an IP address and DNS server settings by DHCP - there must be no
preconfigured IP addresses in use.
- if your anti-virus software has the option to
prevent or block web page re-direction you will need to disable this
functionality in order to reach the registration page.